Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Grievig Italy

Wesley left for Italy on Monday. Surprisingly I am not as upset as I thought I would be, partly because I have already grieved over every scenario possible.

From the moment I found out Wesley would be going to Italy, I cried. I cried hard. Every. Day. I cried for the things that could happen to him (that probably wouldn’t). I cried for the places and people I wouldn’t see. I cried for the lack of control I had for his well-being (for some reason I felt I could make sure the pilot was as careful as he could be just by being a passenger. Hilarious, I know). I cried for the food I wouldn’t get to eat.

I grieved.

I grieved for a lost husband that I still could hold. I grieved for a little girl who wouldn’t know how great her father is. I grieved for the culture I wouldn’t see. I grieved for the people I wouldn’t get to hug (I love to hug and cuddle, and I hear Italy is the place to go if you love being close to people). I grieved for the History I wouldn’t see and feel with my hands. I grieved for ridiculous (some more than others) reasons.

I prayed.

I prayed Philippians 4 every day. I read Philippians 4 every day. I wanted that passage to be ingrained into my being. I wanted to only think about Jesus’ peace. I wanted only Jesus’ peace. I wanted Jesus’ strength. I needed Jesus’ strength.

When the time came to drop Wesley off at the airport I thought I would lose it. I thought I would need to pull over and cry because I wouldn’t be able to see the road. I thought I wouldn’t be able to breathe from snot bubbles bursting (this happens to you too!). I thought I wouldn’t be able to eat or enjoy anything this week.

I was wrong.

I was wrong about everything. Jesus sent His peace. I took all of my worries and prayed about them. It was (and still is) the most amazing feeling. When I dropped him off I was fine. Fine. Not one single tear dropped from my eyes. It was amazing. It was freeing. It was peace. It was Jesus.
 
“6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus… 13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.” Philippians 4:6-7, 13
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment